Jeff Bezos , byname of Jeffrey Preston Bezos, (born January 12, 1964, Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.), American entrepreneur who played a key role in the growth of e-commerce as the founder and chief executive officer of Amazon.com, Inc., an online merchant of books and later of a wide variety of products. Under his guidance, Amazon became the largest retailer on the World Wide Web and the model for Internet sales.
|Profession||Technology and Retail Entrepreneur, Investor, and Philanthropist|
|Date Of Birth||January 12, 1964 (Sunday)|
|Birth Place||Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.|
|Religion||Jeff Bezos has never disclosed any details of his religious belief. The public record is similarly lacking.|
Early Life & Family
Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on January 12, 1964, the son of Jacklyn (née Gise) and Theodore Jørgensen. At the time of Jeff's birth, his mother was a 17-year-old high school student and his father was 19 years old. Jørgensen had ancestry from Denmark and was born in Chicago to a family of Baptists. After completing high school despite challenging conditions, Jacklyn attended night school while bringing Jeff along as a baby. Jeff attended a Montessori school in Albuquerque, New Mexico, when he was two years old. After his parents divorced, his mother married Cuban immigrant Miguel "Mike" Bezos in April 1968. Shortly after the wedding, Mike adopted four-year-old Jeff, whose surname was then legally changed from Jorgensen to Bezos.
|Hometown||New Mexico, U.S. (resides in Seattle, Washington)|
|Wife/Spouse||MacKenzie Bezos (Novelist)|
|Children||Son(s)- 3 Daughter- 1 (adopted from China)|
|Parents||Father- Ted Jorgensen,Miguel Mike Bezos (step), Mother- Jacklyn Bezos|
|Siblings||Sister- Christina Bezos, Brother- Mark Bezos (works for the New York based anti-poverty organisation Robin Hood)|
Hobbies & Interests
The 57-year-old Bezos has a penchant for unusual adventures, hobbies that take him on days-long horseback rides or to the bottom of the ocean. In fact, his next voyage will take him to the outer reaches of Earth's gravitational pull. On July 20, Bezos, his brother, and two other passengers will take an 11-minute trip to space aboard a Blue Origin rocket.
|Favorite TV Show||Star Trek|
|Favorite Food||Octopus with potatoes, Bacon, Green Garlic Yogurt|
Education & Career
After Bezos graduated from college in 1986, he was offered jobs at Intel, Bell Labs, and Andersen Consulting, among others. He first worked at Fitel, a fintech telecommunications start-up, where he was tasked with building a network for international trade. Bezos was promoted to head of development and director of customer service thereafter. He transitioned into the banking industry when he became a product manager at Bankers Trust. He worked there from 1988 to 1990. He then joined D. E. Shaw & Co, a newly founded hedge fund with a strong emphasis on mathematical modelling in 1990 and worked there until 1994. Bezos became D. E. Shaw's fourth senior vice-president at age 30.
|College/University||Princeton University, New Jersey, United States|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science (B.S.) from Princeton University|
In 1992, Bezos was working for D. E. Shaw in Manhattan when he met novelist MacKenzie Tuttle, who was a research associate at the firm; the couple married a year later. In 1994, they moved across the country to Seattle, Washington, where Bezos founded Amazon. Bezos and his now ex-wife MacKenzie are the parents of four children: three sons, and one daughter adopted from China. Bezos and MacKenzie have not disclosed their religious status. Public records, family history, and biographical details suggest that both were raised under some form of Christianity.
|Marriage Date||Year 1993|
Bezos used what he called a "regret-minimization framework" while he worked at D. E. Shaw and again during the early years of Amazon. He described this life philosophy by stating: "When I'm 80, am I going to regret leaving Wall Street? No. Will I regret missing the beginning of the Internet? Yes." During the 1990s and early 2000s at Amazon, he was characterized as trying to quantify all aspects of running the company, often listing employees on spreadsheets and basing executive decisions on data. To push Amazon forward, Bezos developed the mantra "Get Big Fast", establishing the company's need to scale its operations to produce market dominance. He favored diverting Amazon profits back into the company in lieu of allocating it amongst shareholders in the form of dividends.
|Jet Collection||Dassault Falcon 900 EX|
|Assets/Properties||12,000 square feet Beverly Hills Mansion|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$150 billion (as of April 2022)|
- Does Jeff Bezos drink alcohol?: Yes
- Jeff Bezos is an American business tycoon who is best known for being the founder and CEO of Amazon, a multinational technology company. A net worth of more than $200 billion (as of April 2021) makes him the richest person on the planet.
- When Jeff was born, his mother was just 17 years old and was still in high school.
- Jeff’s parents, Jacklyn and Ted, separated just after a year of their marriage.
- When Jeff was just four years old, Jacklyn got married to Miguel “Mike” Bezos, a Cuban who immigrated to the United States alone at the age of 15. After the marriage, he adopted Jeff legally and took the responsibility to raise him.
- After the wedding, the family moved to Houston (Texas) where Jeff spent most of his childhood and developed a close bond with his grandfather.
- During his childhood, he developed an interest in computers from his grandfather, Lawrence Preston Gise, who worked as Regional Director at the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.
- From a young age, Jeff started displaying technological proficiencies and scientific interests.
- The young Jeff was always inventing something- hovercraft, a solar cooker, a robot, an electric alarm, etc. Once, he invented an electric alarm to keep his siblings out of his room.
- He was considered a brilliant student at his school and was his high school’s valedictorian.